ISA (International School Award) is a prestigious accreditation scheme, managed by the British Council. The Award recognizes and celebrates schools that are committed to developing international partnerships which enrich the curriculum and help young learners to become global citizens
The International School Award (ISA) is a benchmarking scheme that accredits schools as having an outstanding level of support for:
- nurturing global citizenship in young people
- enriching teaching and learning
ISA provides a framework for schools to develop an action plan and implement international activities throughout the year, and encourages schools to collaborate with overseas schools to create a rich learning experience for students through the use of ICT, creative pedagogical practices and real context for learning.
ISA in Nepal
The International School Award (ISA) in Nepal has been started two years back. In Nepal, this award is jointly endorsed by Ministry of Education (MOE) and British Council. Within last two years, nearly 20 Nepalese schools were involved in the project based learning for the ISA. Among them, about 60 % of school completed their projects and got the ISA award.
This year, 32 schools from Nepal have been nominated and working for ISA. Our School Reliance International Academy (RIA) also has been nominated and RIA has been doing different projects involving the students and enriching the teaching learning activities.
Benefits of getting an ISA
It is widely accepted that the traditional chalk and talk model of content-oriented teaching cannot adequately prepare young people for the future. We need to shift focus emphasize on value-oriented experiential learning. To counter the challenges that the schools across the world are grappling with, an ISA approach that is holistic and promising.
Some more benefits of getting ISA
- It has a positive impact on not just the students, but also the teachers and school in entirety.
- It is a leadership challenge and fosters teambuilding, innovation, and project management.
- Working on the Action Plan and the Portfolio encourages collaboration and critical thinking. The staff are motivatedto improve teaching standards in their respective schools.
- Pupils are taught using a methodology that embeds global themes in the curriculum.
- ISA gives context to practice new skills in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and pedagogy in a safe and structured manner.
- ISA provides the platform to attend briefings and workshops, join online community that gives a platform to all toexchange ideas.
- Opens a window to other countries and cultures, giving teachers and pupils a new outlook on the world.
- Prepares pupils with skills for life and work in a global economy, opening their eyes to new opportunities.
- Gives school a fresh and attractive identity, and a new globally conscious ethos.